EXCITEMENT IN THE AIR
Recently, Days of Wonder announced the upcoming “New Flight Plan” expansion, which is due in stores in May. We’ll use 6 scenarios from that expansion for this year’s tournament.
The new expansion includes new Air Rules (replacing the earlier Air Pack). It features fighters, bombers, fighter-bombers, ammo chits, dogfights, and new Air Combat cards. See announcement at https://www.daysofwonder.com/en/msg/?goto=372010#msg_372010 . The new Air Rules will be used in the semifinals and finals. In earlier rounds the new Air Rules will also be permitted if both players agree.
Specific tournament scenarios and any other updates will be posted at https://www.daysofwonder.com/en/event/details/?id=1763 and on the discussion thread at https://www.daysofwonder.com/en/msg/?th=38608.
The new Air Rules will be taught in the Demo hour before the Mulligan round. As always, any special rules for a scenario will be taught at the beginning of the round, and help sheets will be available. And as always, we’ll make it so that you can compete in the tournament with just the base game. If any special terrain is necessary, we’ll provide it.
For news about this year’s five multi-player Overlord battles, see below. Marking 75 years since 1944, this year’s Overlords will include scenarios from both D-Day and the Battle of the Bulge, including a full 6-board D-Day Landings “Operation Neptune.”
The schedule for Memoir '44 will be the same as last year. The format will be six rounds, Single Elimination with a Mulligan Round. On Thursday evening, after a Demo with instructors for new players and for experienced players who want to brush-up on special units and rules, we will play the Mulligan Round. Winners in the Mulligan Round are excused from Round 1 the next day, and can rejoin the event in Round 2 at 11 AM Friday. Losers from the Mulligan Round can rejoin the event fresh in Round 1 at 9 AM Friday. The tournament will then run continuously for the rest of the day.
In each round, competitors will play two games against each other: One from each side. Best total medal count for the two games wins the match. In the case of a tie, the player who inflicts the most casualties on his opponent wins. In Rounds 3 and later, matches won, cumulative wins, and cumulative medals will serve as additional tiebreakers, if necessary. The last tiebreaker for all rounds will be a number drawn at random by the player upon registering for the tournament. Players who bring games being rewarded with better tiebreak numbers. Please bring your game!
All you’ll need for the tournament is the basic Memoir set. However, recommended expansions will be listed on the two web pages named above.
Shortfalls and overages:
- The ideal number of players for Round 4 is eight. If we have nine surviving players, an eliminator will play against the extra competitor. If we have seven, the highest-ranked available loser from the previous round (based on our tiebreak formula) will be invited back.
- The ideal number of players for Round 5 is four. If we have five surviving players, an eliminator will play against the extra competitor. If we have three, the highest-ranked available loser from the previous round will be invited back.
- For the Final, if three players are still alive, the two with the best records (based on the tiebreaking rules) will advance to the Final, and the other will automatically be awarded third place. If only one winner is available for the Final, then the highest-ranked available loser from the previous round will be invited back.
- A resurrected player will not be paired against the opponent who eliminated him (or her) in the previous round, unless the player was resurrected to compete in the Final.
Additional Prizes: The winner of this tournament earns the right to compete in the online 2019 Champions Trophy tournament. We’ll also have some other prizes.
FIVE MULTI-PLAYER OVERLORD GAMES
We’ve scheduled five multi-player games this year. "Overlord" games are the source of many of the greatest Memoir stories. Players of all levels are welcome.
- Thursday 2 PM – Rzhev
- Friday 11 PM – Firefight at Neffe
- Saturday 10 AM – Canal de la Haute Colme + The Bourbourg-Brouckerque Line
- Saturday 2 PM – Counterattack at Carentan
- Saturday 7 PM – D-Day Landings: Operation Neptune
Memoir 44, like its cousins from other eras (Battle Cry, BattleLore, Commands & Colors: Ancients, Commands & Colors: Napoleonics, Samurai Battles, The Great War, and the new Commands & Colors: Tricorne), combines a strong element of strategy with just the right amount of luck from cards and dice. A typical battle can be fought in under an hour, including setup time. Now in its 16th year of distribution, new expansions and scenarios continue to keep it a vibrant and growing game. About 400 official scenarios have been published, along with more than 4,000 player-created scenarios. Many of these so-called “Scenarios from the Front” are excellent. Also, Memoir 44 Online gives players a ready source of opponents most times of the day or night. There are online Memoir tournaments year-round. A wealth of information about the game is available at www.Memoir44.com.