Laughing at the Cold War …
What’s the best part about playing KREMLIN? Hard to say…There’s nothing quite like having the KGB chief purge half of the Politburo, except maybe killing them by rolling low on the health die. A trial that sends the Party Chief to Siberia can give you a warm glow, too. It’s all good.
The WBC Kremlin tournament will be run according to the Advanced Rules from the 1988 Avalon Hill edition. For those who have the Jolly Roger version which came out in 2014, the basic and advanced Avalon Hill rules can be found at Boardgame Geek (the exact path may differ, so I suggest using your favorite search engine with the string "boardgamegeek kremlin rules" to find where to download copies of the Basic and Advanced rules.
There are several differences between the AH and JR rules, the most important being the victory conditions:
- The first player whose faction gets three waves at the October Parade wins.
- At the end of Phase 6 of any turn, if there are fewer than eight Politburo members, the player controlling the highest active Politburo member wins. (If this Politician is uncontrolled, no player wins.)
- At the end of the 5th phase of Turn 10.5, the player who controls the Party Chief wins. (If the Party Chief is uncontrolled, no player wins.)
Over the years, we have developed a set of House Rules on the exact meanings of the various Intrigue cards and a list of errata and clarifications for the rules themselves. This will be made available at the tournament, along with a summary of the differences the GM has found between the AH and JR rules (no promises that this is complete!). If you'd like these documents to be emailed to you before the tournament, let the GM know by email and it will happen.
The advancement for the tournament will be the Heats Most Wins - Points standard tiebreakers, a change from the HMW format used in the last tournament in 2019.
We will use the following point system to determine place in a Heat game:
- Each turn a controlled Party Chief waves in the Parade Phase +4 points
- Each turn a controlled Party Chief fails to wave (any reason) +1 point
- The Party Chief position is vacant or uncontrolled in the Parade Phase 0 points
All players tied for second with a non-zero score will be credited with a second place finish. In the case that only the winner of a Heat game has a non-zero score, none of the other players will be counted as having taken second place. (It is possible for a winner to have a lower score than an opponent. If this happens, the score for the winner will be reset to equal the highest score value for that game, so that 'points behind first place' is always zero or greater.)
HEATS: MOST WINS - POINTS (HMW-P):Tie-breakers are:
- Most Wins (e.g., total in all heats entered)
- Most Second Places
- Fewest total points behind first place in second place finishes. Not playing in a heat counts as an N/A for this criteria, not 0 points
- Fewest total points behind first place in all finishes. Not playing in a heat counts as an N/A for this criteria, not 0 points
- Fewest Heats
- High dice roll.