WAR WITHOUT VICTORY RETURNS TO WBC!
One of the 13 original tournaments played at the first Origins convention in 1975 returns to the WBC, with GM Jonathan Lockwood overseeing the event. Beginners are welcome to this Level B event, and there will be a rule teaching session before the tournament begins to make things easier for all new players.
The tournament will consist of three heats of one hour each, with the top 8 players facing off in the final. Advancement to the Final will use the Heats Most Wins – Points standard tiebreakers.
Each table during the three heats will have a minimum of 6 players, and a maximum of 8, whenever possible. Points will be scored during the tournament in the manner described below.
Bring your copy of Nuclear War if you have one; the GM will have his own copies, but may not be able to accommodate everyone if we get a lot of players.
SPECIAL TOURNAMENT RULES: Scoring during the heats and final will be as follows:
- Surviving winner of Round One at each table will be awarded 2 victory points
- Surviving winner of Round Two at each table will be awarded 3 victory points
- Surviving winner of Round Three at each table will be awarded 4 victory points
- Surviving winner of the championship round will be awarded 5 victory points
- If there are no survivors at the end of a round, no victory points are awarded to any player
BONUS POINTS: Bonus victory points will be awarded to a player for the following achievements:
- Being the surviving winner using propaganda, ending Nuclear War peacefully: +1 victory point
- Successfully intercepting a 10 megaton warhead: 1 victory point
- Successfully intercepting a 20 megaton warhead: 2 victory points
- Successfully intercepting a 50 megaton warhead: 3 victory points
- Successfully intercepting the 100 megaton warhead: 5 victory points
- If a player intercepts the B-70 bomber, he is awarded victory points for all warheads that the bomber is still carrying, if any, up to a maximum of 50 megatons.
If all players are eliminated during a round, no points will be awarded to any player, even if an eliminated player successfully intercepted a warhead during the round. So in order to collect the bonus points mentioned above, you must still survive the round, either by winning the round outright as the last survivor, or by being peacefully absorbed into another country. The winning country will still get the bonus points for the round, but the losing player will still get points for any successful intercepts made during that round.
If a player is eliminated by the play of SECRET or TOP SECRET events, he gets no points for any successful intercepts he may have made before being eliminated.
The winner of the final will be crowned the Champion. IF everyone is eliminated in the Final, the tournament champion will be whoever is leading at that time based upon total victory points going into the final
HEATS: MOST WINS - POINTS (HMW-P):Tie-breakers are:
- Most Wins (e.g., total in all heats entered)
- Most Second Places
- Fewest total points behind first place in second place finishes. Not playing in a heat counts as an N/A for this criteria, not 0 points
- Fewest total points behind first place in all finishes. Not playing in a heat counts as an N/A for this criteria, not 0 points
- Fewest Heats
- High dice roll.