Come out and enjoy the 2015 Kennerspiel des Jahres nominated game and see if you can be the most successful in medieval France! Half a deck builder, half a worker placement game, Orleans is an innovative new game from Reiner Stockhausen. Players recruit Farmers, Monks, Scholars, and other trades people to build a worker pool and take actions to better their game engine.
Each new worker gives a specific ability that improves your game engine in a specific way.
One of the greatest benefits of this game is that there are so many different paths to victory. Will you combine tech and guildhalls? Maximize trade goods? Get all the fishermen and monopolize coins? All are valid (as are many others). Past semifinal games have all been won with vastly different tactics (Manufacturing Wool, Board Domination, Fishermen, Technology, etc.)
The tournament will be played with three heats advancing the top 16 players to the Semifinal using the Heats Most Wins – Points standard tiebreakers. If fewer than 32 people participate in the heats, the semifinals will involve 12, 10, 9, or 8 players so that no more than half the field advances. With fewer than 16 players, the top four will advance directly to the final. Games will be 4-player games using 3-player games if necessary. No 5 player games will be played.
Please note the following rules clarifications:
- The first technology tile (cog) you place must replace a farmer. Whether it came from the Laboratory or a Craftsman
- Games will be played with only the base tiles and board unless there is unanimous agreement at the table to use promo tiles.
- When a pile of tiles runs out, you may no longer take the action that provides that tile (i.e., when there are no more scholars you cannot take the University action to move up the technology track)
- Note, in 2023 for the first time at WBC, we will no longer be playing with money as a limiting factor—the supply of money is to be considered infinite and cannot run out, in accordance with newer printings of the game
Rule Exception for WBC: The Bathhouse is to be removed before the start of the game and not used.
Obvious Rule Exception for WBC: The start player for Round 1 should be determined randomly and not default to the youngest player.
HEATS: MOST WINS - POINTS (HMW-P):
- Most Wins (e.g., total in all heats entered)
- Total Points – Players earn the following pints in each heat they entered:
- 1st Place - 1,000 points
- 2nd Place - 100 points
- 3rd Place - 10 points
- 4th Place - 1 points
- All other places - 0 points
- e.g. player has a 1st, 2nd, and 4th in three heats: total points would be 1,101
- GM Specific Tie-breaker - average % of winners score in all games played
- High dice roll.