Lost in Space
Rule #1: The goal of this tournament is to have fun! If there
is any dispute, problem, question or argument, please refer to
Tournament format: (The format will be very similar
to previous years.)
Heats: There will be three heats.
* Players will be randomly assigned to 4-player games. If
the number of players in a heat is not diivisible by 4, a number
of 3-player games will be used.
* As much as possible, GM will not assign players who you
can play regularly (same family/city) in the same game. Players
who select MoV as their Team Tournament game will not
play in a game with another member of their own team.
* Winning one game in any heat will very likely qualify you
to play in the semifinals.
* You may enter any number of heats you like - even if you
already have qualified for the semifinals. Please inform the
GM if you played in an earlier heat so he can use the same scorecard.
* GM will post a list of qualifiers after each heat on the
Merchant of Venus kiosk. If you decide not to play in
the semifinals, please inform the GM.
* All heat games will be played to $2000 within a three-hour
time limit. If the game is not completed in the time limit, GM
may adjudicate a result.
* Prizes: GM is offering the following prizes for winning
a heat game: a set of six plastic rocket ship pawns, a set of
large IOU chits, a set of larger port & factory deeds, two
different sets of alternate ships (From the General and
Roberto Ullfig) or a copy of the Green Taters variant. Winner
receives choice of one item.
* Fantasy Flight edition: The Classic version of the FFG edition
will be used as an option. (The FFG Standard edition takes too
long.) If a player would like to play the FFG edition during
a heat, please ask before table assignment to be assigned to
a FFG table.
* Default game is played under standard AH Merchant of
Semifinals: The semifinals will begin on Saturday at
9 am Sharp.
* The number of qualifiers from the heats will determine the
number of semifinal games:
· 9 or fewer: three 3-player games
· 10 - 12: four 3-player games.
· 13 -16: four 4-player games.
· 17 - 20: five 4-player games.
· 21 - 25: five 5-player games.
· 26 - 30: six 5-player games.
· 31- 36: six 6-player games.
* More than 36 qualifiers: If there are more than 36 game
winners, we will cut to 36 semifinalists according to the following
criteria (in the following order if still tied after each criteria
1. Best result in another heat game (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, Not
Played), go to third best heat if still tied.
2. Best Score in another heat game (as used for determining
alternates), go to third best score if still tied.
3. Lowest score of runner-up in the game you won (Likely will
only occur if you play (& win) one heat.)
4. Dice roll
* Alternates: The highest scores (see next page) among the
non-winners in the heats will be alternates to fill out the field
in the semifinals in cases where the field is not completely
filled or if qualifiers fail to appear. The highest scoring alternates
present at the starting time will be given the spots in the semifinals.
* Assignment to semifinal games will be done in the same manner
as in the heats.
* All semifinal & Final games will be standard AH Merchant
of Venus rules. FFG edition will not be used.
* Semifinal games will be played to $3000, unless 6-player
games are used -- in which case play to $2000.
* Only winners in the semifinals will advance to the Final.
* The Final will immediately follow the semifinals.
* The Final Game will be played to $3000, unless a 6-player
game is used--in which case play to $2000.
Record Keeping: A sheet will be given to each table
to record the official results of each game. Record the Turn
order, which ship(s) and equipment a player uses and relics acquired
by each player. (This information will not be used in the tournament,
just for informational purposes only.) Please circle the name
of the winner. Include any interesting events or comments in
the space provided on the back. This will help in writing my
tournament report. Thanks!
Victory: Victory will be determined normally - the
first player to declare on their turn when they have $2000 or
$3000 in cash and deeds will win the game. It is possible that
another player may have more money & deeds than the winner.
There is no benefit to acquiring more than you need to win. $100
over the line is no better than $1.
Scoring: (IMPORTANT NOTE) A player's score at the end
of the game will consist of total value of cash, deeds and purchase
price of any goods being carried on the player's ship. (IOU's,
equipment, fares, relics and ship have no value.) This score
will only be used to rank alternates, if any are needed, at the
semifinals. (GM Note: The reason for this change is to prevent
artificial play at the end of the game where a player who cannot
win might choose not to purchase goods that would otherwise lower
his score. Always try to play for the win.)
Errata, Rules Clarifications, etc.:
* Please double check all IOU's as they are discovered and
make sure player receives the correct deed and the correct factory
good is placed when a factory is built. There have been cases
of players making these mistakes and correcting these errors
* IOU's may only be viewed at orbit boxes (exception: Spy
Eye). On a space station or city on a planet, if you pick up
the IOU, you must stop & discover the culture living there.
(This mainly applies in the Cloud and Interstellar Biosphere.
Rules 7.2 & 7.3))
* Combat rules are not in play in any game. However, the Relic
Laser is in play. It may not be used for combat, but it may be
bartered at any system for $50 credit.
* If a player fails to indicate initial direction of movement
or rolls the wrong number of dice or if a die is cocked or rolled
off of the table, they must re-roll all dice.
* Unless all players at a table agree, all players must use
the same set of dice.
* Exposed "taters": If a "?" marker is
accidentally exposed, mix it with the other leftovers and redraw.
* At start of game, the Culture ID chit and goods for each
race should be laid out beside the board so that players can
determine which races have not yet been discovered.
* Barter: Bartered items (IOU's or equipment including relics
& ships) may not be traded for cash, only goods, deeds, ship
and/or equipment. Any value remaining on the bartered item that
cannot be traded for goods, deeds or equipment is lost. Bartered
equipment and ships (not IOU's) count as a sale subject to the
"buy 1/sell 1 item on arrival" rule. You must always
own one ship. (Rules 9.32, 9.41, 3.4, General 26-1)
* Fares do NOT count as a purchase or sale. They are not subject
to the "buy 1/sell 1 item on arrival" rule. They do
not generate a 10% commission when delivered to a port. (Rule:
* Rule 11.4, trading with another player while stopped at
the same location, will not be allowed in this tournament.
* The counter mix does NOT limit the number of factories/spaceports
that a player may own. Use an unused token of another color if
a player runs out.
* A commission of 10% of the face value of an IOU is paid
to the owner of the spaceport where an IOU is used. (General
* Guard Plants (Factory Good for the Nillis, 1a, AH ed.) sell
for $140 as shown on the Player Aid cards & Deed, not the
$160 shown on the counter.
* The Cup: Chits should be returned to the cup and drawn one
at a time. If an item is sold with a demand marker: The good
is returned first and a chit is drawn from the cup. Then, the
demand marker is returned and a chit is drawn from the cup. Finally,
the next item may be sold.
* To speed play, another player may draw the chits from the
cup while someone else conducts buying and selling. All chits
are to be announced as they are drawn, including fares/demands
for undiscovered races.
* Factory goods (if available) may be purchased at any port,
city or space station in the system.
* Players need not announce their pilot number until they
first enter a Navigation Circle or Telegate on their turn.
* GM reserves right to adjudicate rules questions. Any rulings
made will apply in all further rounds of the event. Please call
the GM or an assistant GM to resolve a rule question.
Differences in play between AH Merchant of Venus
and FFG "Classic" Merchant of Venus:
||No special buying privileges with an IOU.
||Goods, equipment & ships fully purchased
with an IOU do NOT count as a "buy" for "1 Buy/1
Sell" rule. Anything bought all or in part with credits,
counts as a "buy"
* Gate Lock must be used at start of movement.
* Laser is in play. Since combat is not in play in this tournament,
Laser can only be bartered for $50.
* Gate Lock may be used/not used at any point on movement.
* Laser is not in play.
* Western end of Colony World system is 2 blue dots.
* Neutron Port orbit is in Multi-Generation Ship system.
* Western end of Colony World system has a Blue 30 penalty
and navigation circle.*
* Misprint: Orbit is located in another navigation circle.
||1-10, some use same number designated by a letter.
Good may be sold to next 3 numbers (ignoring any letters.)
||1-14, Good may be sold to next 4 or 5 numbers,
see bottom of each goods counter.
| Selling Price:
||Guard Plants (1a Nillis Factory Good) is misprinted.
Selling Price is $140 (as on Deed & Aid Cards)
||All regular goods have 3 selling prices used
in the Standard Game. Only the White middle price is used in
the Classic Game.
| Factory Goods:
||Factory Goods are named differently from regular
Goods. No Demands exist for Factory Goods.
||Factory Goods have the same name as the regular
good from their Culture. Demands pay out on Factory Goods.
||All commissions are paid immediately after buy
or sell and can be used to fund buying later in the turn.
||Port commissions are paid only after all buying/selling
is completed for the turn. Factory Commissions are paid immediately.
* Michael Christopher's (aka:
Dathkadan) PnP artwork features this change and will be in play
if a set is in use - Otherwise all AH rules will be in effect
on this board..
GM may remove a player for deliberate cheating or abusive
behavior. Always remember Rule #1.
The GM will provide a selection
of science fiction DVDs as additional prizes.