Trade your way to Riches ...
the beginning of the 16th century: beautiful beaches, wonderful
climate, and one of the most important trading cities in the
world. Competing companies trade with spices and send their colonists
into the world and invest their money. Of most importance is
how you manage your spices to grow a successful company: should
you build more effective ships? Build more effective plantations?
Attract more colonists? The best strategy is the one that creates
the most successful business. Goa: wealth and glory, but not
The game will not be taught during the event. Ask Jay to teach
you sometime during the week before entering the event.
Goa WBC Event Rules
1. The time limit has been extended to two and a half hours.
We will terminate games and declare winners if necessary. You
will not be allowed to play if you don't know the game rules.
2. Your results from the two heats are not cumulative. We use
your best score if you play both heats.
3. A game winner has the best score, and we use cash on hand
to break ties. If there are still ties in the heats, then all
tied players are declared winners. In the semi-finals and finals,
there are no shared wins. The next tiebreaker after cash is the
highest sum of spices + ships + colonists. Next is a random draw.
4. Sixteen winners advance to the semi-finals. Fewer advance
if there are less than 16 winners. If there are more than sixteen
winners, we use the BPA MESE tie breakers, then score, then cash
on hand, then spices + ships + colonists to break ties (and then
random draw if necessary).
5. Rio Grande rules are in effect. The FAQ posted at boardgamegeek.com
is also in effect.
6. You must discard down expedition cards after you draw, not
before. This is the Rio Grande rule and counters the game designer's
7. FAQ: You may discard a just-purchased plantation if your plantation
display is full. You do not have to discard one from your display.
8. FAQ: The only expedition card that can be played during an
action is the "player receives two colonists" card.
9. FAQ: Expedition cards marked with an "A" must be
played before you do the action.
10. FAQ: You may not bid money you do not have.