Trade your way to Riches …
At the beginning of the 16th century: beautiful beaches, wonderful
climate, and one of the most important trading cities in the
world. Competing companies trade with spices and send their colonists
into the world and invest their money. Of most importance is
how you manage your spices to grow a successful company: should
you build more effective ships? Build more effective plantations?
Attract more colonists? The best strategy is the one that creates
the most successful business. Goa: wealth and glory, but not
The game will not be taught during the event. Ask Jay to teach
you sometime during the week before entering the event.
Goa WBC Event Rules
1. The time limit has been extended to two and a half hours. We will terminate
games and declare winners if necessary. You will not be allowed to play if
you don’t know the game rules.
2. Your results from the two heats are not cumulative. We use your best score
if you play both heats.
3. A game winner has the best score, and we use cash on hand to break ties.
If there are still ties in the heats, then all tied players are declared winners.
In the semi-finals and finals, there are no shared wins. The next tiebreaker
after cash is the highest sum of spices + ships + colonists. Next is a random
4. Sixteen winners advance to the semi-finals. Fewer advance if there are less
than 16 winners. If there are more than sixteen winners, we use the BPA MESE
tie breakers, then score, then cash on hand, then spices + ships + colonists
to break ties (and then random draw if necessary).
Rio Grande rules are in effect. The FAQ posted at boardgamegeek.com
is also in effect.
6. You must discard down expedition cards after you draw, not before. This
is the Rio Grande rule and counters the game designer’s ruling.
7. FAQ: You may discard a just-purchased plantation if your plantation display
is full. You do not have to discard one from your display.
8. FAQ: The only expedition card that can be played during an action is the “player
receives two colonists” card.
9. FAQ: Expedition cards marked with an “A” must be played before
you do the action.
10. FAQ: You may not bid money you do not have.