Laughing at the Cold War ...
KREMLIN is one of the more underrated games around. Many look
at the board and walk away. However, in the four years that I've
been GMing it, not only have most of the beginners had a good
time, but many come back the following year. Why play KREMLIN?
TOP TEN REASONS TO PLAY IN THE KREMLIN TOURNAMENT
10. How many games do you get to play with characters named
Shootemdedsky, Eatstumuch and Krakemheads?
9. Perfect your fake Russian accent without people looking at
8. Attention non-wargamers- No hexes!!
7. Make crucial decisions such as, "Do I stay at my job
and take a chance on getting sick and dying, or do I go on vacation
and have my 'friends' give me a one-way ticket to Siberia?"
6. More double-dealing and backstabbing than a game of Diplomacy!
(Well, maybe. . .)
5. One of the few games that if you're patient, you can learn
and win in the same day.
4. No democracy here- you're guilty until voted innocent. Proof
has nothing to do with it.
3. Doctor Death Health die rolls!!
2. Relive the old days when the announcement that the Party Chief
had a cold meant he had at least one foot in the grave.
The way to victory in KREMLIN is to control the Politburo
- in particular the Party Chief. There are various strategies
to accomplish this, several of which are perfect for beginners.
One of the best is to just bide your time and observe. This gives
an opportunity for new players to get a feel for the game process,
and hopefully give them a chance to do something as the game
progresses. Another reason why this is a good game for beginners
is that no matter how powerful a player may seem, a couple of
rolls on the health chart, a well played card or two, or maybe
an unexpected change of power on a character the player thought
he controlled, and everybody ís back in the game. So if
you're wandering around Wednesday night, or you lost that first
heat game on Thursday, why not come to the KREMLIN tournament?
Bring a sense of humor, and don't let that goofy board scare
you. The first and third heats will run special beginners games
with teaching sessions in the preceding hour.